I have been discovering the facts behind pelvic exams and pap tests. More and more research is revealing pap smears have little to do with protecting women’s health. In fact, frequent screening for cervical cancer is harming many women and new guidelines to screen less frequently have been recommended: http://www.globalnews.ca/new+cervical+cancer+screening+guidelines+recommend+testing+every+3+years/6442783367/story.html
I was curious to discover why physicians are ignoring guidelines to screen less frequently (http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2009/11/informed-consent-missing-pap-smears-cervical-cancer-screening.html). I was surprised to discover the real reasons physicians are continuing to pressure women into frequent pelvic exams. The real reasons may surprise you too:
1. Physicians make money from examining our vaginas. Physicians are able to charge extra fees for pap smears. In addition, the high incidence of false positives leads to further tests and treatments, which in turn leads to more money. We become fodder for the hungry gynecology industry.
2. Physicians want to see our vaginas.
3. Some physicians enjoy having power over women. The power to control us, to humiliate us, to frighten us, and to molest us. (Link to video regarding physician misconduct: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZWsUhJKftc)
4. Physicians know that when we are naked with our legs spread we are more likely to keep our mouths closed. With our mouths closed we are not able to ask questions. After all, the more questions we ask the more likely we are to discover just how little some physicians know about our health concerns.
5. Physicians want to examine our vaginas because they can.
(Useful link to site regarding tips on how to prevent medical sexual misconduct by physicians: http://sexualmisconductbydoctors.com/femaletips.aspx )