Video Highlights Abuse Some Women Face When Accessing Birth Control

This video parodies what it would be like for men attempting to buy condoms if they were treated the same way as women are when attempting to access birth control pills.  The World Health Organization (WHO), American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), and other health leaders have declared that a pelvic exam/pap test is not medically necessary for birth control pills.  However, some doctors are continuing to withhold birth control pills until women succumb to these invasive exams.

Thanks Si for linking this on https://forwomenseyesonly.com/2014/09/20/new-app-for-birth-control-pills-no-humiliating-exams/

Gallery | This entry was posted in health, pap test coercion, unnecessary pap test, women's health and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Video Highlights Abuse Some Women Face When Accessing Birth Control

1. Alex says:

You know, it’s strange to me that this comes from Buzzfeed. I don’t remember a lot of their stuff that I thought was any kind of useful.

It would be real interesting if they portrayed a woman in a major movie that didn’t go along with that & the man agreed with her- maybe getting into some detail & making observations about the situation as a concept.

I really think that it would never come
    up in school, they seem to be more interested in working against someone’s personal autonomy in all matters.

2. linda says:

While this video is fun to watch there is a darker side to the story.

I remember a ‘pill check’ as if it were yesterday.

I had gone to Dr V to renew my script. I think i had been on the pill about a year when he sprung a smear test on me. I didn’t agree to one. The whole thing was framed as if i didn’t have a choice. That it was a given i would be having the test. He didn’t tell me anything really. Certainly no mention of false of neg positives or that i had a choice to decline. I think i gave in because it was implied he wouldn’t renew my script. He offered condoms as an alternative. I was only 22 and wanted to please my husband as we hadn’t been married long. So looking back the threat was hanging in the air if i didn’t submit.

My smear test took about half an hour with him coming and going with the speculum stuck in me. He even went over to his desk to write something. Even taking the thing out was not rushed. I remember when i had my secong with the nurse thinking how quickly it was done.

I can never prove this doctor had a great time i just know it inside. He is retired now.

Its time the pill was freely available over the counter. More than time.

3. I used to live in the Middle East where the pill is freely available over the counter. It was like a god send and I could avoid the doctor’s office. When we moved back to the UK, my Partner ended up getting a vasectomy so I could get off the treadmill of propaganda and harassment that is “women’s healthcare.”

It is ABSOLUTELY time the pill was available over the counter.

You could kill yourself overdosing on NSAID’s for example but they are freely available – buy as many as you want. Want something specific for women – you need to be treated like a silly little girl and humiliated.

4. adawells says:

He gets off way too easily. A breast exam through a surgical gown? She should have whipped it off forcefully just like they do, and had a good grope.

5. Emily says:

Ha I got a good kick outta that one! The video is obviously satirical but that was actually a very smart way to portray this issue…afterall no one from my generation or younger pays attention to anything unless it’s on social media. For those of us seeking a more thoughtful/intelligent briefing I thought this article did a good job http://reason.com/archives/2014/03/26/over-the-counter-birth-control-pills-us. A little older maybe but still had some solid points and the comments were interesting.

6. Alex says:

You know, I notice that there’s not nearly as much mention of this as there is of legal weed. Maybe that’s something to attach to? Maybe the younger women could be mentioning it when there’s a “Do you think that weed should be legalized?” survey? Seems like it would be pretty easy to do in a college town, maybe during some event.

Another idea is that someone can do one of these types of surveys with the birth control pill & put it on Youtube. Maybe I hate to say it this way, but GET HOT WOMEN TO DO IT! Not necessarily models/strippers/etc, but not necessarily not those, either (I’m sure you could pay them to do the survey, it’s just a question of figuring out how to go about hiring them). It’s not that they’re more important, it’s just that it works better to net support most of the time & it’s not nearly as prone to jokes or disregard, since it’s more plausible for a lot of people that she might have this as a potential problem (as opposed to one that’s very obese/scrawny).

I’m really not trying to be cruel & I know it’s just as accurate of a point (even if a dude makes it), but that sort of tactic nets support- from both men & women. I remember seeing a meme with a very big woman (easily 300lbs) that was wearing a tiara & the caption was “Who’s going to pay for my birth control?” You see how that could be reacted to, right?

7. Kiwicelt says:

In New Zealand we can now buy oral contraceptive pills from a Pharmacy. Unfortunately, here we will continue to try to do cervical screening on women from the age of 20 until 2019 but at least many will have no reason to visit a doctor.

8. Alex says:

So has anyone tried the “legalize it” angle yet? I’m fairly confident it would work well if done well. College campuses, good-looking women & strog-looking men (maybe they have soldiers in their family that feel like helping out- if so, that would add to the impact considerably), and arguing back when someone disputes that basically what happens is not what occurs.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around that. I mean, seriously? The properties of a situation disappear in a medical setting? So how the hell can anyone die in surgery? How can they wind up in debt from medical expenses? Wouldn’t complications & expense magically evaporate?

9. Apparently we have Cervical Screening Awareness Week coming up: https://www.awarenessdays.com/awareness-days-calendar/cervical-screening-awareness-week-2018/

Buckle up for the usual propaganda and nonsense on the net and social media.

10. Emily says:

So I’ve never been able to say this anywhere except here but the whole concept of “awareness” irritates the everliving f*ck outta me! We are ALL “aware” of what breast cancer is, we are all “aware” of what cervical cancer is and lung cancer and diabetes and the plethora of diseases that one may be unfortunate enough to butt heads with. I HATE it soooo much when people say ‘Oh, were just spreading awareness of ___” or “we just want everyone to be aware of this horrible disease and how they can prevent it” and “are you aware of ___ and ___ procedure to prevent it? Go get screened!” Oh I could just scream!

And it’s even worse if you’re a young person too. I look much younger than I am (28 but everyone thinks 21-22) and they always got after the ones that they think are ignorant and impressionable. Heaven forbid someone who is younger educate themselves and make their own decisions based on sound evidence and their own individual circumstances instead of just going along with it. I am very well aware of this disease and how to take care of myself. I am very well aware of my “screening options” and that it is my choice to screen or not. I certainly don’t need anyone to make me “aware” AKA tell me what to do!

As a non-smoking, immune-efficient woman in a monogamous relationship with another virgin (we got married in February!) a pap test has absolutely nothing to offer me. Since it doesn’t screen for uterine/ovarian/bladder cancer or even the non-hpv CC that starts in the deeper tissues then what good does it do for someone like me? Considering my circumstances, I’m more likely to be harmed by a false positive or I could even get HPV or some other STI/STD from unclean equipment. They say “better safe than sorry” but in my case I’m more safe by not getting screened! How’s that for some f*cking awareness!! Sorry for the rant, I’m just so incredibly frustrated with the whole thing. Glad that at least you ladies (and Alex) will understand even if the rest of the world doesn’t.

• Fleur says:

Well said Emily! I too fed up with all those awareness weeks, scare campaigns, and idiotic do-gooder initiatives. I reached the point when I absolutely refuse to watch, buy or use anything that has any connection to any cancer “awareness” or carries any go-screen message.
      The latest disappointment was the Australian TV program Gruen, which I liked and followed for years. I thought the hosts were funny, highly intelligent people who did a good research before opening their mouth. Sadly, I was wrong. In the most recent episode they out of a sudden jumped on a pro-screening bandwagon, touting cancer scare campaigns and celebrity endorsement of cancer screening tests. The co-host Todd Sampson went as far as proposing to use health insurance (which many Australians are financially forced to pay by the tax department) for coercing people into cancer screening! I was so disgusted; not sure I’ll ever watch this program again, or any other show Todd does.
      Are those celebrities really so stupid to comprehend that screening has a potential for serious harm, and therefore to screen or not to screen should be a personal decision based on unbiased facts and individual circumstances, not on an urge pushed by a mercantile celebrity.

• Demonhype says:

And that is what I live in terror of every day of my life, that I am going to be forced to submit to ANY medical exam, much less invasive cancer screening, against my will. Even an “innocent” topical physical is unacceptable to force on people for no better reason than you want to force it on them and you believe you know better than they do whether they would benefit from medical attention much less what kind is right for me. If I know the risks, don’t have something like Ebola or black plague, and still choose to go about on a broken ankle or leave a worsening condition alone until I die from it, guess what? THAT IS MY DECISION TO MAKE! As long as I’m informed, no one else should get a say.

Even if all their rhetoric was accurate–and it’s not–I still should have the right to refuse for any reason including the desire to preserve indignity and avoid humiliation. Because that metric is mine to make, and if I’d rather live a shorter life with dignity rather than a longer life with my legs in stirrups, then it’s worth it…to me. And my opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to my body and my life. It amazes me that they talk about forcing women into this crap and have the audacity to pretend THEY’RE the feminists in the argument! Because that’s what feminists do, they work to restrict women’ s choices and control their bodies. Sure.

And withholding vital necessities from your victims (bc, healthcare, employment–as I hear they do in some countries to my everlasting horror) unless they comply does not make it a “free choice”. It is still coercion and it is still rape!

• Alice (Australia) says:

Totally agree with Fleur and Emily: sooo fed up with all this “awareness” bullshit!
      As to the Gruen’s Todd Sampson and Russel Howcroft, they repelled me too. I don’t think I’ll ever regain ineterst in whatever they have to say after that revolting cancer campaign of theirs and discussion on how to coerce people into unwanted screening.

That said, there are two simple reasons for the screening campaigners who won’t stop even when told to f#ck off:
      1. They have higher than average risk for a particular cancer (family history of the desease, smoking, toxic environment, etc), so they are scared of that cancer and don’t want to live in their fear alone. Misery loves company, as we all know. Todd and Russel both said they have close family members with bowel cancer, so they want to convince other people to screen and do colonoscopies, as no many smart and sane people want to have their guts stripped by chemicals and then be penetrated by a two meter long garden hose from behind.

2. They live such miserable, boring, insignificant and pathetic lives, that campaigning for something that appears to be “good” simply adds at least some purpose to their otherwise useless and pointless existence. Urging, pushing and scaring others into screening is the only possible power trip for these people. Making someone else feel scared, insecure and miserable alleviates these feelings in the instigator.

Likewise, I never purchase anything that has any awareness ribbon or message. It is a waste of money. So many other areas of Australian health care are in desperate need for funding, yet insted the public is feeding the campaigning parasites!

11. ChasUK says:

So very well said Emily….I’m screaming with you LOL! Feelings are very much the same.
    I come across so many people and its almost as if they want something to be wrong with them, they go looking for it…perhaps it makes them feel special…..I just don’t know anymore?
    When I get ill or have pain I always give my body the time to heal itself and make certain adjustments in life…and what do you know…..it fixes itself. Thankfully I never feel the need to visit the GP anymore but since the last time I was very firm about cancer screening being a big fat NO! I stood up and raised my voice as I was so sick of it all, he got the message loud and clear after I mentioned targets/payments/dishonest info etc. None of which he denied. GP is soon to retire so guessing I’ll get it all over again, but because of this fantastic site and all you wonderful people and the knowledge I have gained, I am so fully armed with the truth, and I feel great about it. I’m almost looking forward to the showdown so I can put them in their place. My 25 year old niece has had her 3 invites/summons and has decided not to screen for cc and my sister so far is not going along to her mammogram….hopefully she will refuse cc screening too on her next 5 yearly invite, baring in mind she has been through the abnormal result and colposcopy visit, with a result of “nothing found”, no surprise there seeing as she is in the menopause like myself.
    Anyway I just wanted to thank you all/FWEO again for the brilliant insight/links/info provided over the years, simply fantastic.
    Have a read of this, a spit test to detect Prostate Cancer for goodness sake, and where is the female spit test for cancer screening, not forthcoming is it.
    “so researchers hope it could prevent unnecessary procedures”

12. Judy says:

Regarding the spit test for prostate cancer, but of course men have to have their precious body parts protected from unnecessary procedures! Heaven forbid one of them goes through an unnecessary surgery and is injured in his privates! We women are unworthy of the same consideration and our body parts are expendable (insert sarcasm). When are women going to wake up and smell the coffee about the deep seated contempt the medical field has for us and our bodies????????